Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Hair Feathering: Graham, TX Style

Hair feathers.  It is an interesting concept, no?  I mean, I guess I could see the appeal, there is a distinctly hippie-chic edge when feathering your head, and it seems to work well for Steven Tyler.
I mean, wow.  Who wouldn't want to look like that?

Don't answer that.

So, believe it or not, the craze that has swept everyone from Hillary Duff to Ke$ha has made it to small town America.  At the current time, there are approximately 3 school aged girls that are rocking the look, and there is a monopoly on the services to precisely one salon and one hairdresser in town.

Clearly, this is a hot-ticket item.

So, my younger sister decided that she wanted a feather in her hair to commemorate the last day of school and the beginning of summer.  Because she is the baby of the family, and my mom has some sort of desire to live her feathered-hair dreams vicariously through her, we had an appointment within the day.

Things like this seem to always work out for some people.  Am I right, middle children?

Anyway, my innovative neighbor was appalled at the idea of paying for a service such as feathering, when she had a perfectly good stack of feathers lying around her house just waiting to be stuck onto some poor, unsuspecting person's head.

This was her proposal.




These are pheasant feathers.  Like, straight off the bird.

That second one is an full blown wing.  Now wouldn't that be stylish?

(After reading on the official website that the feathers used in salons were sterilized and color-sealed, my neighbor was sure to note that these feathers were not sterilized.  Just to prevent any possible lawsuits.)

Anyway, she had also pulled out some sort of shot-gun shell type things to affix them to the hair.

(Actually, I don't really know what they were, but if I was making a hypothesis, I'd guess some sort of bullet.  But don't quote me on that.)

After we rolled on the floor for five minutes laughing, we tried to trim the feathers and shape them to appropriate hair feather dimensions.  Unfortunately, pheasant feathers have this annoying vein running through them that makes them stick out of one's head like some bad version of Black Swan.

And if you saw Black Swan, you know that we don't need anything more bizarre than what they offered up to begin with.


Here is the finished product, by the way.

A bit subtler than the wing, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment