Monday, September 12, 2011

Thing I've Learned from the Real World

This list could really go on and on, chronicling my various trials and tribulations with things such as "budgeting" and parking tickets, and Yogurtland addictions.

(These are real world issues that plague real world people everywhere.  What a mess.)

But today, I'm focusing on a lesson of the savory variety.  I learned quickly when I moved into an apartment that I need salsa in my life.  I'm a much happier person when I can grab a few Tostitos and salsa and be on my way.  Call it the Texas coming out in me, call it whatever, it is what it is.  And let me tell you one other thing I've learned... Pace picante sauce should never in a million years be considered "salsa."  It is sinful and should be destroyed, one bottle at a time.

So along with my every-other-week habit of making my own iced coffee (homemade coffee helps with the budgeting issue) I also whip up a batch of salsa about every we... Er, dates aren't important.  Let's not focus on how much of this stuff I'm consuming.
Here's the easy breezy directions for the best homemade salsa a California transplant could ask for.

On the shopping list:

2 cans of Rotel, drained (preferrably one original and one Mexican, but if you live in California and they don't know the glory of Rotel, just two)
1 large Hot House Tomato (diced)
1 jalapeno (seeded if you're a weenie, full fledged if you can take the heat)
1 handful of cilantro

Throw it all in a blender and take a spin. Don't puree, use a lower setting to retain some chunkiness if you're into that kind of thing.  I'm not a fan of perfectly smooth salsa.

Voila! You've just made easy breezy salsa that is a sure crowd pleaser.


You won't be disappointed- I promise.

(Sorry I don't own pretty dishes to photograph in.  The disposable tupperware is going to have to do for now.  Yep, you guessed it, budgeting.)

Also- another tip for girls who have just moved in and don't have all the right kitchen tools:

A bobby pin substitutes nicely for a chip clip to keep things nice and fresh.
Works like a charm.


And a final thought for this scattered entry... A very important lesson I've learned from the real world.  Curtains do wonders for stark white apartment walls.  Especially if they are a lovely blue that lets in just enough sunshine.

We started here...

and within one hour, one dangerously incorrectly attached curtain rod, and a few table-standing near accidents later...

We had this.

So homey, right?


Sincerely,

Learning to be a Big Girl

1 comment:

  1. Linds, I made the salsa for a UT game watching party on Saturday and needless to say it was a HIT. It was sooo easy to make and delicious. Anyone out there should totes try it out. PW would be proud. Oh, and CONGRATS on the job!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete