Saturday, July 9, 2011

"Work, work, All week long..."

Quick! Name that country song!

Okay, it's Alan Jackson's "Good Time."  It's also becoming increasingly more popular on my radio, as my work hours become increasingly longer.

Coincidence? I think not.

You see, my radio and I have this cosmic connection.  For example, I have a bit of an unhealthy obsession with Selena Gomez's song "Who Says."  I literally stalk 20 on 20, Hits 1, The Blend, and The Pulse for this song.  I have heard it on all of these stations and I have a sort of fear of missing it while I am in the car.  When I stumble upon the last chorus of "Na na na na na na na na na na na na na!" and miss the rest of the song I feel an incredible amount of disappointment.


I know this is strange, and a sane person would just buy the dang song on iTunes.  But as I'm sure we've established, I am not exactly what you'd call sane.

Now, I feel like I must explain my obsession before you judge me more.  Here goes... "Who Says" came out right around the time I was leaving for California.  It's so inspirational.  I feel like it validates my entire decision to move out to this crazy land.  I swear, the line where she says, "Who says you can't be in movies, listen to me, listen TO me!" was written for me.  Not that I want to actually be in movies... but you catch my drift.  I cling to this song like a sort of lifeline, and if I don't hear it on my hour to hour-and-a-half drive each morning, I fear my day will be awful.

And no, I'm not superstitious.  At all.

So yes, I'm a big believer in the fate of Sirius XM radio DJ's choices and my life choices.  So lately, Alan Jackson's "Good Time" is simply taking over.


This could be due to the fact that I listen to country music more here than I ever did in Texas (I'm blaming this on whole "grass is always greener" theory) or the radio is just reading my mind again.  Because, borrowing Mr. Jackson's lyrics, I truly do work, work, all week long, punching the clock, dusk 'til dawn.  And by that I mean that I leave my house around 8am and get home around 9pm.

This is nuts, by the way, but I love it.

I do exciting things all day like figure out how to work phone systems, set up camcorders, make copies of scripts, and stalk actors.  It's fun.

(When I say "stalk," I mean it in a very professional manner, by the way.  My stalking involves calling their agent to ask about their availability, and if they are not available, which city I could find them in.  So not creepy at all.)

I have one small qualm with Mr. Jackson's lyrics, though.  Kinda the main point, actually.

When the week is done, all I want to do is sleep.  Mr. Jackson is tired, doesn't want to sleep but wants to have fun.


Looks like I'll be upping my caffeine intake.

Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment