Monday, August 8, 2011

Day 12: Something I Don't Leave Home Without

I started out thinking very practically about this question.

Phone: Lame. Who does leave home without their phone?
Wallet: Super lame.
Sunglasses: Pathetic LA.
Perfect nails: Pathetic diva. (Sad but true.)

My track record wasn't looking great.  So I actually dug through my purse to find something interesting.  You know what came out??

(Does anyone remember that Raffi song, by the way? The one that goes, "You know what came out-what came out-a bouncing ball- boing, boing...")

Sorry.

What came out was a squishy little Sleep Pretty in Pink Earplug.  And I realized, I really don't go anywhere without these babies.

They follow me around like Hansel and Gretel's breadcrumbs.  If you follow them long enough, you're sure to find me.  I also own a ridiculous quantity of these.  They are coming out of my ears... in more ways than one.  Hardy har har...

Sorry.  I'll stop.

Here's the deal with the earplugs.  I feel like I need to explain myself or this entire blog entry is going to be completely absurd.  (Speaking of the word "absurd," I've realized that I use it a lot.  I think this is because at one point in Titanic Kate Winslet declares that something that Jack said is "absurd."  Now I haven't stopped saying it for like the past 10 years.  Absurd, absurd, absurd...)

I should seriously stop admitting stuff like that.

Anyway, here's the deal with the earplugs, Round 2.  I lived in a sorority house for 2 years.  It was wonderful and communal and lovely and delicious and harmonious, and also very loud at night.  Those metal slits in the doors let in every peep from the hallway, and let me tell you, the Chi Omega hallway was a happening place on random Tuesday nights around 3 am.  Therefore, I started plugging my ears up every night as I went to bed, and I was rarely ever disturbed again.

But then something terrible happened... I became addicted to the earplugs.  Now, the most delicate of noises will drive me absolutely bonkers when I am trying to fall asleep.  An air conditioner that goes on and off? Misery.  A squeaky ceiling fan? Forget about it.  I am addicted to muted and smothered sounds for a good night's sleep.  And if you know me, a good night's sleep is very important.

Therefore, I consistently throw these little babies in every overnight bag I have, every toiletry bag I own, and every purse I might ever take out of the house.

Because let me tell you, there's nothing worse than being stuck without your Pretty in Pinks.


Word to the wise: Just say no to earplugs.  They'll get you good.


No comments:

Post a Comment