Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Day 19: Something You Miss

Didn't think I was gonna make it today, didja?

That's okay, I didn't either.  My little challenge definitely took a back seat to the other erratic and certifiably ridiculous events of my day.  If only I could share on a public forum... but alas, I believe that is referred to as slander.  Or libel.  Media Law is fading quickly.

But low and behold, here I am, with more senseless musings to entertain you.

Or entertain me... either way.

Something I miss.  Well, normally I would have posted a picture of my family and been good and done with it, but they left me in Cali only 2 days ago.  So I don't miss y'all yet.

Just kidding!  I always miss y'all and your strange habits and ism's.

But today, of all days, what I really miss is school.  Call me crazy, (I would have too a year ago) but man, students have it made.  Seriously, students out there, you have it made.

I especially miss high school.  My good friend Mern and I often muse on the fact that life was so incredibly carefree in high school.  The biggest worry I had on many days was whether I had the match to the correct cheer bobby socks for the ice-cream social that evening.

(Seriously, every word of that sentence is the truth.  Cue small town jokes now.)

Now looking back, with jobs and bosses and pressures and bills and groceries and laundry and oil changes stacking up... I really kinda just wish I could start right over at Freshman year.

Of high school.
Here's me and my little sis on the first day of school about 5 years ago.  Now she is taller than me and probably looks older too.  That's cool.

But seriously, I wish I could zap myself back.  I want to see people I haven't seen all summer, and find out which friends are in each class, and prepare for the first all-important pep rally.  And stay in the high school gym that reeks of sweat and popcorn until midnight on a Thursday night hanging strange streamers and balloons from the ceiling and pretending people are going to care the next day.  And I want to make lunch plans with friends, and race out of the parking lot to beat the lines.  And I want to listen to the Eagles for an hour and a half every other day in Art class and paint obscure oil paintings for months and months on end in horrid smocks.

...Well, if this whole Hollywood business fails, I guess I could always be a teacher.

Maybe that will make me not sound like such a has-been.  Cause after this post, that's exactly what I sound like...

I'll work on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment